Well, except in one regard. We did not use a real organ for the Rutter. I understand the reasons for it, but still... File that one under "Things That Are Wrong," #147.
Anywho....
The basic rundown of the day was something like this:
11:00 - 12:00ish: sound check/rehearsal
12:00ish - 1:30: lunch/free time
2:00 - 4:00: showtime!
The actual event was split in half: before intermission were the performances by the mass choir, orchestra, chamber choir, and band, with the actual graduation ceremony occurring in the second half. Because of the strict union rules, it was imperative that the whole thing finish by 4. (Happily, we met the deadline with time to spare.)
This was not my first experience with the backstage of orchestra hall. I've taken kids there for the last 5 years, and we've had a backstage tour almost every time. However, that did not in the least diminish the "cool factor" of using the very same dressing rooms, backstage area, etc., used by the CSO musicians!! I am such a geek that I actually took pictures of the signs on either side of the door that we used to enter the backstage area - the one that said "orchestra personnel only" (or something to that effect - I'm too lazy to go get my phone to check!) and on the opposite side one that said "exit to patron's lobby". (Yes, I know. I am a huge geek! And I'm OK with that! So there.)
Suffice it to say that all in all the experience was AMAZING. Definitely one of the perks of being a VanderCook student.
After the concert was over, we all went our separate ways. I had an errand left to run before leaving town, so I spent the next hour or so hiking around downtown with my fiddle on my back. That was fine by me - it was one of those fantastically gorgeous days, and I was certainly in no hurry to leave the city. However, I had somewhere to be, and so I couldn't stay forever. After boarding the green line one last time, I sat down and was overwhelmed by the enormity of the VanderSummer experience.
I'm keeping my farecard in my wallet. I can't wait to go back.
No comments:
Post a Comment