Friday, July 10, 2009

any dream will do

First off, let me just say that clearly the orchestra enjoyed themselves at last night's dueling piano bash. The dean of students came over and said, "Can I hang out with you guys? You're the most fun!" Perhaps partly because the orchestra program is the smallest of the three (band, choir, orchestra), we are a particularly close-knit bunch and tend to all hang out together. We were all up in the front, gathered around a couple of tables, singing and dancing and clearly having an entirely different party than everyone else in the room! However, after awhile the rest of the crowd warmed up, and by the end of the night they were all just as into it as we were. It was a great time.

What was not a great time was the dream I had last night! Just yesterday, in the course of some conversation or another, I made the comment that I was afraid I might forget how to play the organ during this 6 weeks, since I don't have easy access to an organ to practice on. Clearly that triggered some sort of church-related stress, because last night I dreamed about exactly that. I dreamed that I was playing a church service at LG, only for some reason it was a very different sort of service, and I don't think I had to play anything until the offertory. Also for reasons unknown, I spent the first part of the service in a different room, and then when Stan was wrapping up the sermon, I had to hustle up-stream against a recessing choir - and some handbells that someone had left on the floor - to get to the organ in order to play the offertory. (Which makes no sense at all, because that's not even when the offertory comes in the service, nor the recessional!) It was like one of those dreams where you are running and just can't manage to get there, because despite the extreme sense of urgency I felt, I didn't make it to the organ in time.

I don't remember what all happened after that, but the bottom line was that I ended up running around throughout the service, trying to be at the right places at the right times to play what I needed to play, but ended up missing everything! I do remember finally making it up to the organ at what must've been the end of the service, only to find Larry already playing the postlude. When he finished, he asked me what the deal was, wondering if I still remembered how to play a service. He said he had already emailed me (in the middle of a service??) to let me know what I had messed up. Clearly he was disappointed, and I was upset, too. Then I remember being at a hotel with my family and checking my email, only I woke up before I could read the email from Larry.

So there you go.

Now I have to hustle and get out the door to class!

No comments: