Monday, June 22, 2009

we all live in a weird-shaped concrete box

The campus of iit is known for its architecture. As a matter of fact, every day when I walk to the student center from VanderCook, I'm greeted by a rather unusual portrait of Mies van der Rohe. Check out these photos of the student center, officially known as the McCormick Tribune Campus Center. It's pretty wild! And as if that weren't enough unusual architecture for one corner, directly across the street is the residence complex known as State Street Village. It looks funky on the outside, and on the inside, well... It's unique! The whole place feels very spartan; if you were going to live here for an entire school year, you'd definitely need to slap some posters up on the walls and do all that usual college stuff, because without that the interiors feel rather dark and cold, despite having an entire wall of windows in each room. It's sort of hard to explain - or perhaps the hour is just too late for me to find the words - so I'll let a few links to the talking:

If you're into architecture, there's a lot of fascinating info out there about the iit campus!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOVE THE BLOG! Hope you are doing well. As you can see I also am waking up early. Yuck. Hope you have a great week!
Amy