"Today is Wednesday. I went to school. I came home from school. My mother met me at the door. She said, 'Beppo has eaten your baby sister.' I was terrified! I was horrified! But what could I do? Beppo was my little pet bear."
And so goes a part of the legendary Dr. Sharp joke. During our junior year at Hope, it was all we kept hearing from the seniors. "Ask him to tell the joke! Ask him to tell the joke!" And so, one day during music lit, he gave in to our pestering and told it. Now, the funny part is not the joke itself. Yes, it has a punch line, and it's cute, but the real humor was in the telling. To properly tell the joke, one must firmly plant one's tongue in front of one's lower teeth, as if it were glued to the back of one's lower lip.
Got it?
OK, now to back to the top, and say it out loud!
See what I mean?
Now picture this being told by a grandfatherly man who more or less resembles Santa Claus.
Even better, right?
So, now that we are all on the same page, I must quote the inimitable Bill Cosby: "Now, I told you that story to tell you this one!"
Here's the thing about Wednesdays. For most of my life, going way back to elementary school, Wednesdays have been choir day. I remember writing in a language arts journal in 8th grade, responding to a prompt to write about our perfect day, and I know I wrote about a Wednesday, including choir.
I know. I'm a geek.
C'est la vie.
Anyway, today is a Wednesday, and there is no choir. Granted, choir's been on summer break for a few weeks already, so this is not a new phenomenon. However, for whatever reason, on this gorgeous evening in my favorite city, I miss Wednesday night choir.
Just sayin'.
No comments:
Post a Comment