Sunday, June 28, 2009

great rapids

Yesterday afternoon, around 4:00 or so, I stopped typing my music history paper. Taking a cue from my 10th grade Algebra II teacher, Mr. Haapala, I said to myself, "Self, you need to get out of here for awhile!" (Sadly, I don't remember how to count in Finnish, which is the other thing I learned in Mr. Haapala's class. That is, aside from talking to myself in the third person, how to tell random stories in class, oh... and a whole bunch of math.)

And so I threw my dirty laundry in a suitcase, gathered a few other things, and drove home. 

In the back of my mind, I had been toying with the idea of coming to MI this weekend; a dear friend and colleague got married yesterday in a small ceremony but was having a big open house to celebrate in the evening, and the son of other dear friends was baptized in church this morning, again with a celebratory gathering afterward. However, when I left for school this summer, it was with the intention of not coming back for 6 weeks. I knew that the class schedule would be intense and figured that I would need the weekends to work and to have a little downtime, rather than spend them hurrying in and out of GR. So, despite these fantastic and important events, I had not been planning on a trip home. 

But despite my original plans, and the looming CURRICULUM PROJECT OF DOOM (dunh dunh DUNH!!), I decided at the last minute to leave the big city for a day. 

Driving home, I spent the first 45 minutes or so being quite convinced that I was out of my mind. "I have too much to do!" I said to myself. "What am I thinking??" I comforted my panicking brain with thoughts of staying up late that night, working on my project. 

In a record 2.5 hours, I pulled up at the wedding open house. It was wonderful to be there, and I was instantly glad that I had decided to make the trip. 

Driving to my house, I found that, despite the time change, I really felt tired. Paper-writing was not going to happen. I managed to do my two loads of laundry before conking out for the night.

This morning I went to church, the same as so many Sundays before. It was incredibly good to see everyone. I feel a bit sheepish for saying that; after all, I've only been gone two weeks. I've certainly been gone that long in other summers. But the fact of the matter is that, for whatever reason, I needed to be there today. I needed to hear the words of that particular introit and anthem. I needed to hear that sermon. I needed to sit in the pew and let the organ music fill the space around me. I needed to be surrounded by my church family, all these wonderful people who have become so dear to me. 

The post-baptism gathering was a fantastic time of fellowship and delicious food, all while sitting outside in some of the most gorgeous weather we've seen in awhile.

Now I am alone in my house, listening to the refrigerator running (I know - I'd better go and catch it...), feeling nervous about going back to Chicago. 

School. I love it, but it creates stress. 

That's a discussion for another time. 

For now, I will simply say that I am glad I came. 

No comments: