Friday, July 16, 2010

accelerando

The pace picked up at VanderCook today. The energy was palpable. Still on a high from last night's concert and party (VanderPalooza!!!), classes today were abuzz with conversation. After four weeks of homework and standard class assignments, the real deadlines are finally here. Portfolios were due today, the comp exam is tomorrow morning, our final papers are due on Monday, and poster night is Wednesday. The end is in sight.

Last night's party was a much-needed release. For those of you who have not had the opportunity to hang out, sing, dance, and consume pizza and fermented beverages with a couple hundred music geeks, I must tell you that it is an experience unlike any other. I also must tell you that the orchestra gang, of which I am a part, has established a reputation of being the most fun people at the party. I kid you not. Last year, the graduate dean kept coming over to hang out with us because we were clearly having the best time of everyone in the room. And the next morning, in Intro to Grad, the prof made sure to let us know that "you orchestra people really know how to party!".

OK. I must insert a disclaimer, because right about my friends and family are probably thinking I have fallen off the wagon or something. This is not the case!! The orch-dork awesomeness is simply the result of the fact that we are energetic, fun-loving, the first ones on the dance floor, and just generally out there having a grand time.

The highlight of last night, however, was Prancing with the Profs, a "Dancing with the Stars"-style competition in which eight faculty members were paired with eight students and competed in two rounds of a dance-off.

It. Was. Phenomenal.

Some legitimately great dancing, some incredibly hilarious antics...  I really can't explain it. You sort of have to know the people and the profs to get the whole picture. It was just awesome. And that is all.

The rest of the night was karaoke with a live band - lots of singing and dancing and having fun. And a few of our string players even got up and played. They totally rocked it out.

I think we all needed it. The stress levels are getting pretty nutsy around here, and it was a great chance to blow off some steam. Even though we were all tired after a late night, it seemed to give a new sense of energy as we make the final push to the end.

There is a lot to do this weekend. Aaron and I had a hot Friday night date to Staples in order to pick up the fancy paper we needed to print the final copies of our papers and the supplies we needed for poster night. Tonight he's studying for comps. I took the portfolio option, which I turned in via email earlier today. (Thanks, Abby, for the proofing help!!) After I finish writing this post, I will be starting in on one of several homework options: poster, paper, choir reflection, arranging project, c&a group project, c&a studying, and/or reading for string methods.

I can tell you're jealous. Try to restrain yourself. If you ask nicely, I'll share.

Ready? Go!

No comments: