Sunday, August 30, 2009

slingshot

This is it.

The end of wide-open days, leisurely lunches, late showers, later nights, and reasonable mornings. And the return to "normal."

At church, the question of the day for students and teachers alike was, "Are you ready to go back?"

The kids, or at least most of them, are ready. They want to be with their friends again. And the parents are more than ready to get them all out of the house!

Me? Well, define "ready." At a certain point, the lack of a schedule drives me a little bonkers. But I am not feeling bonkers yet. Eventually I tire of pretending I'm a college kid and staying up until the wee hours. But I'm not quite tired of it yet. However, it's time to get back to regular life. Besides, no matter how much more vacation time I'd like, I'm sure it will never feel like enough. I'm pretty sure that's Murphy's Law of Vacations. Or something like that. (I think the same rule applies to M&M's. No matter how many one eats, it's never enough!)

So tomorrow it begins. In-services don't actually start until Tuesday, but tomorrow is booked solid with a lengthy allergist appt., lessons, and organ practice. So, really, this is it. This has been an amazing summer, and I'm reluctant to let it go. But I hope to carry all the VanderFun into the school year and to be a better teacher for it.

Just thinking about the year ahead makes my stomach go in knots. I look at my rainbow calendar and panic. How on earth will it all get done? I have no idea, but it always does. It's just the shock of it all starting again. It's like one of those roller coasters that goes 0-70 in 3 seconds. One day I'm sitting at home relaxing, and the next day - BAM! 70 mph for about 9 months straight. (OK, OK, I exaggerate - there are some breaks in there, of course, but you know what I mean.)

But this is my calling - the life I've been given - and so I strive to live it passionately and joyfully, no matter how crazy it gets.

Ready?

Set?

No comments: