Sunday, August 09, 2009

powder puff part deux, aka "i find your lack of pants disturbing"

You may be shocked to find out that I was not always this cool. (Let me remind you: sarcasm.) In high school, I was a bit of a geek. (I know... I'll say it for you: "What do you mean 'was'??) But I wasn't a geek in a bad way. You know - smart kid, good grades, orch. dork.... I had a great group of friends and was by no means the school reject, but I didn't exactly hang with the "popular" cheerleader/jock crowd.

Which is yet one more reason that I should never have signed up for Powder Puff.

Well, I mean, clearly I did sign up for it, but seriously - all those jocks on the team? What was I thinking?

So the moral of the story is that in Powder Puff, as in the rest of high school, there were the "cool" kids and there were the rest of us. (We like to think of ourselves as the super cool ones. Well, if we were referring to ourselves in the manner of 8th grade girls. Which we aren't doing.)

(Anymore.)

Thankfully, we all had a pretty good time at our practices. You know - running around, doing drills, scrimmaging, whatever else... Bonding experiences for sure. Especially the way one particular practice turned out.

We were scrimmaging. I have no idea who the teams were. I only know that I was on one team, and one of the cool girls was on the other. She had the ball. I had to stop her. I ran toward her. I reached out to grab one of her flags. My hand clasped around something. I pulled it toward the ground.

And....

I pantsed her.

No joking.

It actually happened.

I pulled the pants off of one of the coolest girls in the school.

I wanted to crawl in a hole and die. My entire high school career flashed before my eyes. I saw myself going from "smart and nice but sort of geeky girl who everyone asks for homework help" to "that ridiculous loser who pantsed Nesrine Hamati". Not a pretty picture.

And then the most surprising thing happened.

Nesrine - her pants replaced by this point - started to laugh. She thought the whole thing was hilarious and no big deal at all. Turns out that behind that whole "cool" thing was a kind, forgiving person.

The relief was overwhelming.

A little bit of grace in a high school Powder Puff scrimmage. Nesrine, wherever you are, thank you.

No comments: