I said it was the most appropriate. I didn't say it was the most profound.
It's true, though. I had a decidedly significant case of the Mondays today. The morning wasn't a bad one or anything. Decent classes/rehearsals, no major crises... Can't complain. I think I just have too many unfinished things hanging out there - S&E, committee work, school Christmas concerts, master's project, two upcoming church services, etc. The problem is that sometimes it gets to the point where there are so many things to do that I don't quite know where to start, and so - ironically - I end up not getting nearly as much done as I need to.
But, as per usual, the kids redeemed the day for me. Sometimes I forget what a powerful profession I am in. I was reminded of it today in 7th grade, when my little darlings actually were little darlings - well-behaved, focused, quick to stop at every cut-off, attentive to directions, giving their best effort... During a run-through of a 6th hour piece, pair after pair of eyes lifted to check in as they played. "I'll be darned," I thought to myself, "they can be taught!" Just a couple of months ago, these 40-some-odd kids would've flipped their lids at the mere sight of the music they are now playing with ease. Maybe there's hope after all...
After school my office became a repair shop. A student had brought a cello to me at the end of the hour and explained that somehow - magic! - the entire endpin had ended up inside the cello. Somehow. You know, just all by itself. Poof!
Right.
My skinny fingers came in handy as I took down the bridge, removed the tailpiece, pulled out the plug, and with some creative maneuvering managed to navigate the loose endpin over the hole without knocking down the soundpost. Score.
Next on the list was a quick stop at Meijer to pick up a couple of things for home and a couple of things for school. As I drove under yet another gray Michigan sky the Mondays came creeping back. I thought about the rest of the day's schedule - Meijer, quick dinner at home (during which I am typing this), church, possibly AGO - and wondered why we do this to ourselves. Everyone is this busy, running too and fro day in and day out, never stopping - life in perpetual motion. Don't you sometimes wonder what the point is? Do we earn bonus points in heaven based on the insanity of our lives on earth?
I walked into Meijer prepared to power-shop, heels clickety-clacking authoritatively on the tile floor. I quickly made my way toward the carts, ready to grab one and run. But my mission was interrupted by a little old lady who offered me hers as she was leaving. I gave her a broad smile and said thank you. And suddenly I felt a bit better.
A manic Monday brought into perspective by the people in my life. Maybe that's the moral of today's story. In spite of all the insanity, the craziness, the busy-ness, the constant hamster-on-a-wheel-ness, we are called to be people who love others, to be Christ to the world.
Especially on Mondays.
No comments:
Post a Comment