Who can point to a moment and call it the change of seasons? These things so often happen gradually, temperatures slowly shifting, skies slowly changing, and almost imperceptibly we cross the line from spring to summer or summer to fall.
But not today.
Today winter seemed to be upon us.
Bam!
Just like that.
A typically overreactive news story last night warned us of the impending "tricky commute" today, which of course turned out to be absolutely nothing. However, there was a chill in the air - albeit a mild one compared to the depths of the winter - and for the first time I broke out my honest-to-goodness winter coat.
As I was out and about this evening, frozen somethings filled the air - not quite true snow, but somewhat fluffier than sleet. Is there a word for that? There should be. For the first time I could see the subtlest sheen on the road as the not-quite-snow-not-quite-sleet made contact with the cold pavement.
If I were going to nit-pick, I might chastise December for coming in a day too soon. But who am I to argue?
Come on, winter. It's your turn.
No comments:
Post a Comment