The words fly to mind, completely unbidden, as I process with the choir into the sanctuary, eyes taking in the newly-hung banners of purple and gold, voice singing the familiar "O Come, O Come, Immanuel," heart thrilling to the all-encompassing sound of the organ.
My mind fills with flashes of Advents past, of hearing the familiar stories in worship center days, of learning what "Advent" meant and why we use the color purple.
I can see the wreath of candles at the front of the sanctuary. I feel the anticipation in the air.
This is it.
Christmas is coming.
The waiting is almost over.
I'm not talking about the anticipation of gifts, or of time with family and friends, although those things are without a doubt an incredibly important part of the holiday.
I'm talking about a world that is as much in need of a Savior as it ever was.
Stan's sermon tonight was about looking up when all around us are a million reasons to keep our focus downward. Our world seems to be falling apart all around us. But Christ is coming. And there is hope.
Let the season of waiting begin...
No comments:
Post a Comment