Tuesday, September 08, 2009

goodbye, my little 8-legged friend

Well, we did it. We survived the first day of school. In the quiet calm of the early morning, I judged my departure for the day to be "on time" - this was based on the fact that I pulled away from the house just after the GR school bus passed by. On my way out of the 'hood I drove past a family taking first-day-of-school photos on their front walk. All seemed right with the world. Or as right as it can seem at 6:55 in the morning, anyway. Ick. (I am so not a morning person.)

The school day went smoothly enough for a first day, I suppose. There were last-minute schedule changes, 7th graders who couldn't get their lockers open, lost kids trying to find their next class, a rowdy cafeteria during the 2nd lunch hour... So it was pretty much business as usual!

The highlight came just before lunch. Two 7th grade girls in the front row began panicking as a rather creepy-looking white spider descended directly in front of them.

And so I did the only logical thing: stepped off the podium, took one look at the spider, and with a hearty clap of my hands ended his meager existence on the spot. Apparently nothing impresses adolescents like a teacher who's willing to kill a nasty bug with her bare hands.

For the record, I did wash my hands before eating my lunch. No one likes the taste of spider on their sandwich.

No comments: