Thursday, February 18, 2010

fearless flying...sausage?

Before first hour (6th grade) on Wednesday, I walked next door to the band room to give some stuff to our aide to copy. I walked back into my room just in time to see a breakfast sandwich literally flying through the air. No joking. Airborne sausage patty and all.

I'll stop for a moment to let the imagery sink in. (You're welcome.)

I spoke aloud the first question to come to mind: "Um, folks, why was there just a breakfast sandwich flying across the room?" I was wondering what creative answers I might hear, like "It just grew wings!" or "It tried to attack me, and so I had no choice but to retaliate!" or "I had no idea those things could bounce so high!"

But no. The answer was much more mundane. "I was trying to throw it into the trash can." This is from the kid who is sitting literally on the other side of the room from said trash can. Kid logic, right?

"Really," I said. "You were trying to throw that into the trash can?" "Yes," the kids says, as he comes over to pick up the pieces of bun and sausage and wrapper that are now strewn over the floor. "Wow," I said. "Well, you really made a mess of the room just now. Bummer. In return, I'm going to have to ask you to clean up the entire room. And, you know, because it's the first school day of the week, it's really pretty clean right now, so I'm also going to ask you to take this rag and clean off all of the cellos and all of the basses. I mean, it's only fair, since you decided to make a mess in the room in the first place."

Oh, kids... Never a dull moment.

PS: Bonus points if you are familiar with the literary reference in the title! ha ha ha

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Literary reference .... Fearless Flying Hot Dogs.... Jack Prelutsky??

Sara Joy said...

Yep, that's it! A million imaginary (and therefore worthless - sorry) bonus points to you!

Unknown said...

Oh, I was thinking I could redeem my bonus points for M & M's!!!

Sara Joy said...

Um... Well... You know that enormous bag of M&M's I had? Yeah, I...um...have pretty much demolished it. All 3.5 lbs. Sorry.