Sunday, January 03, 2010
this is me
I have a feeling I'm going to be here a lot in the next few months. By here, I mean The Sparrows, a great little coffee shop right in my 'hood. And by a lot, I mean that I have to get my butt out of the house in order to get any sort of quality work done on my master's project. There are too many distractions at home. I have spent most of my time here with my trusty macbook's airport turned OFF. Otherwise I am prone to interrupting myself every few minutes to check my email or facebook for the nine-billionth time today. Give or take a billion. And that just does not make for good productivity.
However, tonight I've actually accomplished the goal I set for myself, which was to go through and analyze the ways in which my classes are currently meeting (or not meeting, as the case may be) the Michigan music education standards.
I know. It's riveting.
So, anyway, this is me, sitting here spending some quality time with my laptop, on a frosty evening in GR, dreading the return to school.
Well, perhaps "dread" is the wrong word. I love my kids. I enjoy being with them and teaching them. What makes me crazy is festival, always wondering if I'll pick the "right" music or if my groups' performances will be up to snuff. Despite all the self-doubt and career questioning that I've experienced (and, quite frankly, continue to experience), for some reason I still get this feeling that this whole teaching gig is really something I am made to do. I don't know that I'm meant to do it forever, but I am apparently meant to do it right now.
The alarm is going to go off way too early tomorrow. I will not want to leave my toasty warm bed. The fact that I keep my apartment at a blistering 58 degrees at night is probably a large part of the reason for that. Lest you think I'm totally nuts, you should know that the thermostat is set to crank it up to 64 around the time that I get up in the morning. 64. I know. Roasty. What can I say... I'm a Dutch girl in an incredibly drafty old house who's too cheap to keep the heat any higher. C'est la vie.
Anyway, the alarm will go off, and I'll drag myself out of bed, and I'll get ready to go, and I'll get in the car (God bless remote starters) and go to work.
It will be a good day, dag nab it.
Because I said so.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment