Sunday, January 17, 2010

sunday night stream of consciousness

I went to Meijer tonight purely out of principle. I started the weekend with a mammoth to-do list, and the only thing remaining undone was that pesky grocery run. After church was over tonight, I can't say that a Meijer run was high on my list, but I'm a Dutch girl and we Dutch folks are all about the principle of things.

Or at least that's the excuse I'm going with.

The nice thing about Meijer on Sunday nights is that it's very quiet. The downside is that oftentimes sale items are out of stock. But I did alright tonight. However, I bought way too much food. I guess that's ok. All it means it that I can wait longer before the next run. It's my own fault anyway. I fell victim to the classic "going to Meijer while hungry" blunder.

My bad.

I had oatmeal for breakfast, a bowl of soup for lunch, and a handful of trail mix just before the evening service. Oh, and a cup of coffee and a bunch of chocolate chips in the afternoon, while I was grading playing tests. 82 2-octave G major scales. You tell me you could get through that without caffeine and chocolate?!?

Exactly.

So, I did in fact get everything checked off of my list.
1. Had a fantastically fun Friday night at Founders.
2. Had a homework/masters project party with my sister at the Hope library.
3. Went to Nate's 2nd birthday party, albeit briefly, and saw family. Awesome!
4. Attended the St. Cecilia concert in which several of my current and former students took part.
5. Practiced organ.
6. Cleaned the house and did some laundry before church on Sunday.
7. Went to church and sang in choir. (We sang this. Good stuff.)
8. Finished the laundry after church.
9. Graded those darn playing tests.
10. Played a service.
11. Got groceries

And here I am.

Phew.

The sad thing is that I already have a list for tomorrow. Such is life.

However, I am currently not doing much of anything. When I finish writing, I may get started on tomorrow's list. We'll see.

Church went pretty well tonight. I really knuckle-walked the first prelude piece, though. It's not that I don't know the music. I do. I practice and prepare. I just get nervous and jumpy sometimes.

Ridiculous, right? I've been leading in worship since I was 5 years old. Literally. (It was a solo in the Christmas pageant at Alpine Ave CRC. As the story goes, the director was mouthing the words really big as I was singing, and so I sang with equally exaggerated lip movement. What can I say... I've always been good at following the director.) Anyway, why I should still be nervous 22 years later is beyond me. I guess that's why I don't really consider myself to be a performer.

The hymns were fun tonight, though. I didn't really reharmonize anything, but I monkeyed around with the pedal parts and added some things here and there, just for kicks. The last hymn was the one I messed with the most. And during the sermon I made a last-minute decision to accompany the closing chimes with some soft choir and pedal stops, something that The Boss does occasionally but that I have never tried. It seemed to fit the hymn, and so I just went for it. It is nice to be at a point where I have the courage to do those things. I'm a very literal "play what's on the page" kind of girl, and so this is sort of new territory for me. I like it.

As I was putting my coat on after the service, an older lady whose name I did not know stopped me. "Who are you?" she asked. I told her my name. She told me hers. She explained (and no, I am not making this up), "You are so pretty, and I just had to know who that pretty girl was."

She might have a different opinion now, as I sit on my futon sporting pink flannel pajamas, slippers, and somewhat hefty glasses.

Anyway, those are the various and sundry thoughts in my brain, given to you in precisely the order in which they occurred to me. Sometimes I carefully edit my blog posts. Tonight? Not so much.

Weekend? Check. Alright, Monday... Bring it on.

No comments: