Sunday, January 23, 2011

chores

I have never considered myself to be the domestic type. In the past, it has been rare that chores top my list of fun things to do. This is why it baffles me that working around the house is quickly moving up the chart of "Sara's favorite pastimes".  I take great pleasure in clearing the ever-growing pile o' stuff off of the kitchen table. I like to hear the buzz of the dryer, telling me that another load of wash is done. I enjoy finding homes for things and putting them away, making order out of chaos. There's something supremely satisfying about this.

However, I must admit that straight-up cleaning is not even so much as inching up the favorite-pastimes list. Maybe I'll feel differently about that when I've gotten into a bit of a routine. For now, cleaning involves a several step thought process:
1. What item would I use to do this at my old apartment?
2. Do we have said item?
3. If so, where is it?
4. If not, what might be Aaron's preferred cleaning item?
5. Where is it?

At my apartment, it was easy. I knew where all the supplies were, I had a routine, and although it wasn't pleasant, it was at least habitual. I could put on some music or maybe a little "Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me", and before long the task was done. However, in this new environment the cleaning of the house is much more daunting.

What's a girl to do? Clearly the only logical thing. I think it's time to attack the semi-disastrous desk/music room for a half-hour. That sounds like more fun than swiffering floors and scrubbing the toilet!!

No comments: