"Boys suck... Let's make caramel bars!"
That was one of many sayings on the quote board in Brumler 10, the humble abode of my junior year of college. And although I must profess that I hold quite a different opinion of the opposite gender than I did during that particular time (although, I also should add, my opinion at the time was in fact justified), my position on caramel bars has remained unchanged.
They are delicious. So much so that they became my trademark treat during college. I'm not much of a cook, but I can make a mean batch of caramel bars.
So, without further ado, here is the recipe, for your baking pleasure. Enjoy!
14 oz. pkg of light caramels (about 50)
1/3 cup evaporated milk
1 pkg German chocolate cake mix
1 TBSP water
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup choc. chips
Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 9x13 pan. Melt caramels and evaporated milk together and keep warm. Combine in a large bowl the cake mix, butter, and water (and I often add 1 TBSP of evap. milk as well). Stir with fork (actually, it's more like mashing) until dough is crumbly but holds together. (It helps if the butter is slightly softened first. It also helps to use a pastry blender instead of a fork, but a fork works, too.)
Press half the dough into prepared pan. Reserve remaining dough for topping. Bake at 350 for 6 minutes. Sprinkle chocolate chips over baked crust, spread caramel over the chips, and top with reserved chocolate crumbs. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Cool and enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment