Sunday, April 11, 2010

hope in meteorological form

Amazing sunshine.
A breeze gently drifting in from open windows.
Smoke from the neighbor's grill wafting into my kitchen.
Conversations over the back fence.
Birds singing.

This is life in my little slice of the city.

Some nights are too good to ignore, which is why I am currently sitting on my porch, typing this entry, instead of sitting at my desk, working on my master's project. The project will still be there in a few hours. But this surreal evening will be gone before I know it.

That's how life is, I think. The beautiful moments beg to be enjoyed whenever they arrive.

Someone rides past on a bicycle.
A windchime jingles down the street.
Half of a cell phone conversation flits past my ear.
Not a cloud in sight.

I look down the row of porches and can see to about six houses down.

This is my little slice of the city.

I love nights like this. I love the community of it all. Even as we all go about our separate tasks, we are in this together. Everyone has a smile on their face. The weather is infectious.

Perhaps we are all in collective denial of the work that awaits us tomorrow morning. Or perhaps we are all just enjoying the moment we've been given.


Trust no future, howe'er pleasant!
Let the dead past bury its dead!
Act, - act in the living Present!
Heart within and God o'erhead.
~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Psalm of Life ~

No comments: