Monday, September 09, 2013

lydia grace

I've been away from the blog for far too long. It's with good reason, I suppose. Being pregnant, surviving the end of the school year while pregnant, adjusting to life with a newborn... These are all valid reasons to be an absentee blogger.

By the same token, the exact time of my life when I'm adjusting to the crazy life of a working mom might seem to be the worst possible time to resume writing here. How the heck am I supposed to fit this in with everything else already on my plate? However, as I make this adjustment, my brain keeps filling with thoughts that beg to be put on paper. Once these thousand bouncing thoughts find outward expression, they are somehow less scary, more manageable. Writing helps me to make sense of things, and my life needs some sense brought to it right now.

This whole working-mom deal is kind of strange. It's hard to leave my baby girl with someone else all day, and yet I also enjoy having some of the pre-mom independence that comes with going to work for the day. But then I get to my lunch time, that blessed 30 minutes I have to use the bathroom, inhale some food, and pump Lydia's next meals, and wish that somehow I could win the lottery and be home all day. Part of me is ready to be done with this teaching "project" and tackle something new - the challenge of being a stay-at-home mom. I know that staying home full-time is not the easy option; it's just an alternative, no better, no worse than what I'm doing how. Part of me thinks I'd enjoy the newness of it, that I'd like focusing my time and energies on taking care of things at home, planning meals, etc. - all the stuff that gets pushed into the smallest slices of time in our current two-teacher lifestyle. But then I think that I'd probably get stir-crazy if I was home full-time. And it would be very different to have our income cut nearly in half.

Life... Never simple.

But I have an adorable baby girl, a wonderful husband, a roof over my head, and a paycheck.

Life is good.

No comments: