Thursday, August 09, 2012

Wait... The kitchen table is supposed to be for food?

Let's call this step one in my attempt to curb the clutter at the Good house. I present to you... the kitchen table:


I wish I could tell you that this is an exceptionally messy view of our table. But it's not. This is pretty much typical. We have a small house, and so our kitchen table is our only eating area. But it is also the closest surface to the door, which is why it becomes the catch-all location for anything and everything. Our kitchen is too small to have a junk drawer, and there's definitely not enough counter space to have a pile of things there. So that leaves us with what you see above.

Yikes.

I realize that some people may not be bothered by this. However, I am not one of those people. While I accept that a certain amount of "stuff on the table" disease is a part of life, I'd also like to be able to sit down to dinner without having to unearth the table every evening. It would be one thing if the collection of stuff was transient - always having a destination, and seldom remaining on the table for a long period of time. But this is not the case. There's just always stuff there.

Which is where my anti-clutter mission comes in.

What we need here is a solution for sorting the mail and other assorted paperwork that somehow meets my need to keep the clutter contained and Aaron's need to keep things in sight so that he doesn't forget about them.

Stay tuned....

1 comment:

Alainna said...

Our table is the same way. Some how it evolved that we each have a side of the table that our "stuff" naturally falls on. Every once and awhile we get a cleaning streak and clear most of it off. You could try baskets on the table to throw stuff in. Haven't talked with you in awhile! Hope you had a great summer and good luck for the upcoming school year! ~Alainna